Announcing our new girl crush: Queen of the crop top and immaculate eyebrows, 24-year-old British-born American actress Lily Collins. We’ve fallen hard for her Hepburn-like features and edgy take on red carpet evening wear, and with a starring role in cult Sci -Fi thriller, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones about to conquer the screens of UK cinemas on the 21 August 2013, we’re sure this is only the beginning of our outfit envy. So before she’s spotted on the front row this September, here’s The LDN Lowdown on Lily’s avant-guard personal style, from her raven waves to running into Chanel’s Karl Lagerfeld.
1. She looks awfully familiar? Last year Lily starred opposite Julia Roberts in fairy tale spin-off Mirror Mirror where her red carpet picks impressed the fashion pack. Her porcelain skin and classic features paired with high-impact haute couture had bloggers and even Karl Lagerfeld smitten when she bumped into him shopping at Collette in Paris.
2. And her dad is who? None other than musician Phil Collins. Yes the one with the gorilla in the Cadbury’s advert, but drum solos aside Lily insists that she didn’t use her last name to get auditions. Just another brunette at the casting call, Lily recently admitted in her interview with Glamour Magazine that it was hard work and humility that got her the parts. She thanked her mother for keeping her driven and grounded, reminding us that, “Personality can open doors, but only character can keep them open.”
3. She may be on the covers now, but Lily started out writing in magazines. She may have landed UK Glamour’s September cover in Dolce & Gabanna and Harry Winston diamonds, but Collins started out writing for Seventeen magazine at only sixteen and went on to write for Teen Vogue. After growing up in Los Angeles, she studied for a degree in broadcast journalism from The University of Southern California, which probably explains why she’s so eloquent and professional when it comes to interviews and press meets.
4. She’s recently single after an amicable split with her blonde British co-star Jamie Campbell Bower. Now friends, the pair are still charming in interviews. Maybe Miss Collin’s has a thing for Brit boys?
5. Or just British Fashion? Lily says she is still playing dress-up with her personal style but adored the Punk theme of The Met Ball. Quizzed by Glamour about nineties trends, Collins gushed about her admiration for London street style, praising it’s eclectic outfit choices simply saying “The British do it better”. A boots and shoes addict, Lily loves accessories by Alexander Wang and anything Zadig and Voltaire. When it comes to her beauty look, she lists punk model Agyness Dean as one of her beauty icons alongside face of Chanel, Kiera Knightley. But her love for all things Blighty doesn’t stop there, Lily also loves Bridget Jones, Harry Potter, Mumford and Sons, and Baking. A girl after our own heart.
5. So what’s her secret? In her handbag, you’ll find lip balm, SPF, dental floss and a mattifying powder. But it seems her favourite thing is to experiment with lip colours. Lily thanks make-up artists and hair stylists on set for her most recent haircut, a glossy mid-length look with tousled ends, along with Argan oil and professional treatments to keep it glossy.
Get The Look
The signature Collins might sound like a cocktail but it’s actually a simple combination of defined eyes, matte skin and a bright lip. Begin preparing skin with an SPF brightening day cream to protect from the sun and hydrate. We love Caudalie’s Vinoperfect Day Perfecting Cream, which also helps fight imperfections. For Lily’s doe eyes and jet black lashes, glide a sheer muted brown shadow all over lids, before outlining eyes with a thin liquid liner. Then max-out lashes with a volumising mascara. Now for the lip, conditioning is key for the perfect application. Use a hydrating lip scrub to prevent flaking and cracking before using a super sharp lip liner for a precise outline. Next pick a high pigment matte lipstick, we adore this one by Nyx in Pure Red, applied straight from the tube, blotting in between applications.
So if you love Lily as much as we do be sure to check out our Style Stalker Pinterest board for even more inspiration.